Friday, January 30, 2009

#20 - A/S/Laway

I've used Askaway as part of a project on Web 2.0 during my 1st year in SLAIS. I'm sorry if one of you folks had the misfortune of having to deal with me.

Conceptually, it's a great service. But the people who came up with it must've forgotten to account for one of the most pervasive and cosmic laws of the internet. Here, lemme Common Craft it for ya.



The internet's great, but without any pesky social norms to get in the way, people will be tempted to ask questions that they won't otherwise ask another human being face-to-face. Add to the fact that many Askaway users seem to only be half aware of the service's intended function, and you've got...

Well, you've got the internet in all its user-driven glory.

Not too long ago, I sat in with a co-worker during one of her Askaway sessions, and heard a lot about the horror stories. And even bore witness to one!

Is it perfect? Well, no. But I bet it's great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment