Thursday, January 29, 2009

return of the attack of the son of Office II: Officemaggeddon!

Attempts to teach library patrons how to save their documents in the new Word has also proven to be a harrowing exercise, and not the fun kind of harrowing, like I don't know, skydiving, or owning a handful of extremely violent kittens. Observe:

Librarian: "Just click on that button here."
Patron: "Which button? The File button? I don't see it."
Librarian: "No, that button up in the top-left."
Patron: "That button? What do you call that?"
Librarian: "I--er, I think--I don't know. It's the Office Logo, I guess?"
Patron: "My God, what is that thing? It's hideous! I think it's pulsing!"
Librarian: "Don't make sudden movements! It can smell your fear."
Patron: "It's coming straight for us! Nooooo!"

Is it a conspiracy that the functional (if not very pretty) File menu has been replaced with an indescribable, unpronounceable symbol that defies comprehension, sort of like another indescribable, unpronounceable symbol that defies comprehension? I say yes, and that we are all doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment